Sunday, February 26, 2006

The Fa


I am contemplating today’s job of painting our upstairs hallway, sitting here in the same clothes I first put on, oh, 4 days ago. I don’t think I reek, yet, (one never knows), but here’s the deal.

I tend to be a blue collar sorta guy, a guy who loves to work with his hands, and as such, I have spent most of my life doing just that. I put my first workshop together, complete with all the latest gadgets and power tools, when I was 24 years old, and it has only gotten worse. These days, I actually have two workshops, one at home, and one at the commercial building I own, and it is a seldom thing that I have to transport one or another power tool to either location, ‘cause I have whatever I need in both workshops. I am not embarrassed about this. To have it any other way, for a hands workin’ guy, and a motion economy nut, would just be wrong.

So I tend to wear out my jeans, rather quickly, and other clothes, crawling around on some bedroom floor, installing or painting moldings, or repairing a floor, placing an acer platenoides into the hole I just dug in the yard, or getting a big splotch of “Leaftree Green” semi-gloss right on my crotch. I just finished remodeling Marie’s office, which is adjacent to the hallway of which I speak, and I told her, as part of the expense, she would have to buy me a pair of pants.

It’s a lifestyle choice. Yes, I own a suit. Yes, I can meet my attorney for dinner in slacks and a sweater. But basically, GQ I am not. Today, I am gonna really trash out these jeans. But tomorrow, I am going to wake up, and decide to go fishin’, and I am not gonna put on a new pair of jeans to do that. My name is Ric Seaberg, and I tend to be anti-fashion. If you, sir, want to spend your money on fancy clothes, like it’s your hobby or something, cool. But me, I get up, throw on something simple, and get on with it.

I must say I get a kick out of the concept of the TV show, “Queer Eye For The Straight Guy”. I think I might be a candidate. Last year, as I was writing the songs for my 2005 CD “Who Come Down?”, I thought what it might be like if I suddenly turned fashion conscious. The result was my song. “The Fa”. But in truth, I mean the part about me gettin’ all fussy about my clothes, prob'ly not gonna happen.

To hear Ric's fashion song, "The Fa", click below
Hi-Fi (Broadband)
Lo-Fi (Modem)

Visit Ric Seaberg's Website
Photos
Music
Ric on iTunes

5 comments:

Useless Man said...

I know the feeling! Glad you are a "get your hands dirty" guy as well. It seems we're all useful for SOMETHING.

You should check out the recent post at rainypete.blogspot.com. He was just writing about the steps to painting and redecorating. It seemed to involve a lot of liquor though....

Ric Seaberg said...

Useless: Lets you and me and Pete get together and build some shit!

UC said...

you're not a real candidate for QE because you live in PDX and are therefore automatically too cool! --> from a local :)

Dr.John said...

I too have a workshop. But I don't use it very often. My tools are scattered all over the house and I can never find the one I need . I don't care about what I wear either but my wife does and aside from my blue winter underwear I don't fight her. My long underwear is essential because its cold and I only have one pair.

Ric Seaberg said...

You rule, Doc!