Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Football

I know it’s only August, but right about now, every year, I start thinkin’ about football. Football grabbed me when I was a kid, and I have played a lot of it, well, years ago anyway. To make that interception, after barely tipping the ball from it’s intended receiver, and then fingertipping it along the sidelines until you finally manage to bring it in, and then run it back for a touchdown, to me, that’s perfect. And it’s great fun to watch other guys do it too. Gimme some hot wings, a couple of Oregon Sports Action tickets, a comfy chair, and maybe my son (or my daughters) to share it with, and I am one happy Sunday Afternoon Football Lovin’ Dude. I think another reason why I like football so much is, though it does have it’s size requirements, it is a very creative game. The “playbook” as they call it, is complex.

Marie isn’t particularly fond of football, with it’s hard hitting and inevitable injuries, but she is kind to find another TV in the house, so Blaine and I can waste the day ooooohing and ahhhhhing over terrific plays, and spends her time with a more, uh, girlish project, maybe quilting. Sometimes, she might nap, and then, of course, just as she nods off on the living room couch, finally down deep in REM-land after a rough week at work, and while our little white dogs form her comfy blanket, a great or not so great play will occur in the game Blaine and I are watching, and I will yell, at the top of my lungs, “ WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT?”, much to her shock and dismay. “Could you guys maybe shut your door”, she quietly begs, heart pounding. She is such a sweetie for putting up with all that Autumn boy energy.

I favor the Seahawks, since it’s our closest franchise, and some other reasons, like I was living in Seattle myself when the franchise was formed, and now, both my daughters and their families live there, so we share our enthusiasm for the Hawks. Recently, Blaine celebrated his 26th birthday, and we gave him two tickets to a Seahawks game, which we are going to order as soon as they go on sale. He and I are going to take the train, from Portland to Seattle, probably in September, and then just walk, or roll in Blainey’s case, over to the stadium in Seattle, which is right by the train station. Amtrak is quite accessible, and apparently, there is seating in the Seahawk’s stadium IN EVERY SECTION for those who use a wheelchair, which blows my mind, and is in itself a great reason to support the Seahawks. After we go, I will let you know how it went.

Visit Ric Seaberg's Website

No comments:

My photo
Pacific Beach, Washington, United States